Sunday, December 2, 2012

Should Christian Women Wear Makeup?

             vs.     Hello sisters, today I wanted to talk about the topic of makeup. Everybody has there own opinion on what scriptures say about makeup and whether it's wrong or right to wear. I don't believe in any of the Bible verses I've read does it say wearing makeup is a "sin" so to speak, I believe what Jeremiah 4:30 is saying is that vanity is a sin, not necessarily that makeup in it's self is a sin. However I personally don't wear makeup here's way: I believe God didn't make any mistakes as He was crafting us together, so why then would I need to paint of something as though God didn't do it right. I don't think wearing makeup is a "sin", I think we don't need it. I do think however that if women wear it caked on heavy eye makeup or harsh lip colors that it is going against what 1 Timothy 2:9-10 says about adoring yourself in with modesty and self control. If you were to look up the definition of modesty this is what you would find.



Modesty

 
1.
the quality of being modestfreedom from vanity, boastfulness,etc.
2.
regard for decency of behavior, speech, dress, etc.
3.
simplicity; moderation.

      

I think this perfectly describes what the Bible wants all women to do when it comes to being modest. So do I think it's a sin to wear makeup, no. Do I think in excessive use it goes against the Bible, yes! Do I think God intended for women to paint over His work of art, no.

1 Timothy 2:9-10


Likewise also that women should adorn themselves in respectable apparel, with modesty and self-control, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly attire, but with what is proper for women who profess godliness—with good works.

Jeremiah 4:30 


And you, O desolate one, what do you mean that you dress in scarlet, that you adorn yourself with ornaments of gold, that you enlarge your eyes with paint? In vain you beautify yourself. Your lovers despise you; they seek your life.












  God bless sisters! 

8 comments:

Eclectic Christian said...

Very good treatment on a subject that is constantly in front of us. The push to become "better" and "more beautiful" can haunt women. But in Christ we can let that go and see the God given beauty that He has bestowed on each one of us.

Unknown said...

@Renne Reginer thank you for your input sister, I totally agree with you:)

Anonymous said...

I am so very blessed that I have found your wonderful blog. As a reborn I have so many of these questions and they are all right here. I thank God for you. I do wear makeup but I wear it modestly or not at all.

ChristianModesty said...

@Misty Sutton God bless thank you for your encouraging words, I'm glad my blog has helped you or answered any questions you might have. God bless!

Anonymous said...

One can read the bible or read into the bible. Absolutely, without doubt, God is not pleased with makeup. Does one put it on to honor God or to satisfy a human emotion? It's plain, it's simple. Honestly observe your mind and motives when you are putting it on. There in lay the answer. But the heart, oh how deceitful it is to itself. I love all my sisters but, no, if you can be honest, plain, modest, and shame faced for our Father.

Anonymous said...

As Anonymous said above.... I TOTALLY 100% AGREE!!

Kim said...

Just a thought, my husband dislikes makeup that is noticeable, and I wear it in a very natural way which he is fine with, and I can certainly see how heavy makeup is immodest because it's drawing extra attention to oneself, especially some of the crazy makeup trends nowadays regarding unnatural colors and crazily winged eyeliner etc. I have also seen the obsession many girls, especially young women, can develop with makeup. Many of them spend tons of money on it and research new looks and tutorials in all their free time.
One commentator mentioned wearing makeup modestly and I definitely think that is possible. Another commentator said God is absolutely not pleased with makeup which I definitely disagree with. I'd be careful to put our own prejudices on God and say "God this or God that" without any scripture to back it up. Makeup is an inanimate thing neither good nor sinful. It is the heart behind the one using it that matters.
I also have to politely say how much I dislike the argument in this article that God doesn't make mistakes so why wear makeup. If that argument were true then nobody should be plucking their unibrows, trimming their hair, shaving their legs, or getting braces. Maybe you actually do believe nobody should be doing those things I just mentioned, but where does it end. Is an anti-aging moisturizer suddenly sinful because God wants us to age?
God gave us responsibilities in taking care of and managing the things He has given us. Do people manicure their front lawns? Some do some don't but I don't think the unmanaged lawn is more holy and less vain because it's "natural". If anything it's an offense to the eyes and nobody wants to live next door to it.
In other words, a little makeup could be totally fine if done simply and tastefully, especially for the purpose of cleaning up (stray hairs, pimples, dark circles). Working on those things doesn't make women seem vain to me but, rather, clean and considerate.
On the flip side someone can hire a palace gardener to maintain their suburban lawn and outfit it with fountains and hedges shaped like exotic animals, many varieties of rare, exotic flowers in the brightest colors and a lush carpet of bright green artificial grass; and while you may not be able to take your eyes off all the dazzling colors and ornamentation, deep inside you think of how ridiculously out of place and gaudy that yard looks and you still don't want to live next to it.
My point being there has to be balance with everything. Moderation and a heart that loves the Lord above everything else are all that is needed to do, or not do makeup right, but neither wearing it or not wearing it is a biblical mandate.

Tina said...

Good article, but the photograph you used is from a TV series about a group of non-Christian British teenagers who go to America to live with the Amish as an experiment.